[mdlug] GPS suggestions

Aaron Kulkis akulkis3 at hotpop.com
Thu Apr 5 15:36:05 EDT 2007

Ingles, Raymond wrote:
>  Our ten-year wedding anniversary is coming up in May, and we have a good
> relationship. I get gadgets and she gets jewelry. :->
>
>  I'm looking for a good GPS unit, and hoping for suggestions or pointers
> for good, current information.
>
>  Must-haves:
>
>   - Bluetooth connectivity so it can talk to my Palm Treo
>   - Fast signal acquisition (time-to-fix), ideally from both cold
>     and hot start (the old GPS unit I had for my old Palm could take
>     up to *twenty minutes* if it was started cold)
>   - Good battery life

First generations GPS units used by the army typically take
3-5 minutes from power-on to acquiring 5 satellites; that's
using an external antenna, mounted on a vehicle, with a
fixed, appropriate (horizontal) orientation.  I'm not sure
exactly what the antenna looks like, as it is contained
within a shell -- I tried to break open one that went bad,
and had no luck... any stronger force used to break it
open will destroy the antenna elements hidden inside.

I can't talk about the latest generation GPS units, other
than to say that they are better than the 1st generation.