[mdlug] Vinyl to digital

bob dion bobdion at starline-ent.com
Wed Apr 4 11:59:05 EDT 2007

Ingles, Raymond wrote:
>  Well, I took a vacation day yesterday. We're making room for a new baby,
> so we reorganized the basement storage, and, well, the turntable was dug
> out, and...
>
>  I was mostly successful in digitizing things. My main problem... I couldn't
> capture properly. My sound card is an SB Live Value, and I've done it before,
> but this time it gave me fits. I played with alsamixer, the Gnome mixer, etc.
> While I could *hear* a stereo signal through the computer speakers and/or
> headphones, I could only capture one channel. When I played with the mixer,
> there were two stereo capture entries - but one appeared to cover the left
> channel, and one got the right. Audacity only recorded the 'left' one.
> Anyone run into that before?

On Sunday I ran into this same issue trying to tape from a cassette deck
running Mepis 6.0. Both Audacity & Gramofile would only record the Left
channel.
Last night in Audacity I checked the preferences - audio/io and changed
it from 1 channel Mono to 2 channel stereo. I also played around with
settings in Kmixer and was able to record in stereo both in audacity &
Gramofile. But I'm not sure what setting made this work. Sorry I can't
be more helpful, but it's a start.

BD