[Mdlug] IBM T30/SUSE 10.0 Suspend to RAM Problems (repost word wrapped, sorry)

Peter Bart peter at petertheplumber.net
Mon Nov 20 11:37:25 EST 2006

On Sun, 2006-11-19 at 21:55 -0500, Peter Bart wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-11-19 at 17:20 -0500, Jeff Hanson wrote:
> > On 11/19/06, Peter Bart <peter at petertheplumber.net> wrote:
> > > One of the things I'm trying to deal with is I've never gotten
> > > suspend to disk to work properly. It's set in Yast to work and when I
> > > suspend a popup box shows up telling me it's stopping services but then
> > > the display stays on with several error messages. Over several minutes
> > > the screen goes from black with the messages to almost white which
> > > obscures the text. The indicator lights show that it has suspended. I
> > > can also resume. I found the text displayed in /var/log/messages:
> >
> > I don't see problems with those messages.  What does the lspci command
> > report for devices (or "lspci -v" or "lspci -vv").  It appears to be a
> > video interface or BIOS compatibility problem.  Most suspend to disk
> > or suspend to RAM modes require good driver support but many
> > manufactures don't provide enough hardware info.  On many systems, one
> > or the other may work but often not both.  Maybe check BIOS settings
> > and see if any BIOS/video caching or shadowing options are enabled.

Jeff,
	I forgot to mention I went through the BIOS again and disabled
everything I could except the 'boot from' menu. Just in case. If it
helps I can go through and list all the options in the BIOS and their
settings. Yast has all the helper applications installed for ACPI under
the power tab. I did have the program 'configure thinkpad' installed at
one time. It came with SUSE but I uninstalled it because it used APM and
I was told it would conflict with the ACPI setings in Yast. Is it
possible that some mention of APM is still conflicting with ACPI? Should
I comb through the /etc files for mention of APM? Or should I bag ACPI
for APM? I don't really want to bag ACPI because I have the latest
kernel that is supposed to work well with ACPI, it's worked before using
Gnome, and I perceive it as a step back. However if APM works

Regards,

--
Peter Bart <peter at petertheplumber.net>
http://petertheplumber.net