[Mdlug] net neutrality ?

Dan Pritts danno at umich.edu
Sun Nov 19 19:06:14 EST 2006

On Sun, Nov 19, 2006 at 05:07:22PM -0500, Jeff Hanson wrote:
> I'm all for splitting the cable and telco infrastucture and service
> businesses.  That would eliminate most of the problems.

nice idea; been tried, didn't work out (see: baby bells/ilecs vs.
non-facility-based clecs).  Arguably, this was primarily due to
ilec lobbying cash.  Fix the lobbying cash issue and this will be simple.

There is also a reasonable argument that competition is the right
solution.  Whether it's possible to split the companies at all is
a good question (what's infrastructure?  what's service?) but it
leads to crazy amounts of regulation & bureaucracy (want to explain
LATAs for the class? ;).

danno
--
dan pritts