[mdlug] Is MS bribing bloggers?

allen amajorov at sbcglobal.net
Fri Dec 29 20:49:51 EST 2006

Michael Corral wrote:
> 2006-12-29, Monsieur allen a ecrit:
>
>> That argument is not logical. Politicians face the same ethics issues.
>> Does that make them journalists?

I don't think so. Politicians represent the interests of their
constituents. If the interests of their constituents conflicts with the
truth then the truth loses. If we want evenhandedness we look to people
who make an effort to claim evenhandedness but if we want an advocate we
*don't* want evenhandedness, we want to win.
>> Bloggers are just people who feel like saying something, and they put
>> whatever it is they want to say on the web. That doesn't make them
>> journalists. There's a craft and a whole host of skills involved with
>> journalism (e.g. investigative techniques, reporting skills), and
>> practices that professional journalists have to abide by (e.g. peer
>> and editorial review), that bloggers don't have to deal with.

Peer review isn't for journalists, it's for academics. Editorial review
is for the organization, to keep an employee, the reporter, on track and
secondarily to protect the journalist from their own bad spelling, word
usage and other professional faux pas.

Besides, the line isn't that neat and clean. Today's casual blogger is
tomorrow's journalist when they write about the mayor taking kick-backs.
The trappings are important, the craft and the learned skills and the
editorial review but the core of journalism is broadcasting. Not in the
"radio" sense but in the casting abroad of facts not obtainable by
people who might be interested them.
>> Journalism is one of those things that I think you really do need to
>> go to school and study. I knew some journalism students when I was in
>> college, and I got an idea of the kind of things they learn that would
>> separate them from just anybody with a blog. You can get an idea here:
>> http://journalism.berkeley.edu/program/overview.html

Maybe a professional journalist benefits from a degree but the
historical requirements are an ability to write, a desire to write what
other people will want to read and a means of getting that writing
before the public. I don't see that the advent of the Internet has
changed that.