[mdlug] Is MS bribing bloggers?

Michael Corral micorral at comcast.net
Fri Dec 29 16:11:18 EST 2006

2006-12-29, Monsieur allen a ecrit:
> Look at the bright side. Since this is a classic problem all journalists
> face it makes it more difficult to dismiss the claim to the status of
> journalist, by bloggers.

That argument is not logical. Politicians face the same ethics issues.
Does that make them journalists?

Bloggers are just people who feel like saying something, and they put
whatever it is they want to say on the web. That doesn't make them
journalists. There's a craft and a whole host of skills involved with
journalism (e.g. investigative techniques, reporting skills), and
practices that professional journalists have to abide by (e.g. peer
and editorial review), that bloggers don't have to deal with.

Journalism is one of those things that I think you really do need to
go to school and study. I knew some journalism students when I was in
college, and I got an idea of the kind of things they learn that would
separate them from just anybody with a blog. You can get an idea here:
http://journalism.berkeley.edu/program/overview.html

Michael