[mdlug] Suggestions for flash-drive Linux?

Garry Stahl tesral at comcast.net
Thu Dec 21 13:50:56 EST 2006

Fati wrote:
> I prefer the slax distribution for mobile linux. It's small to start
> with, but has a great deal of modules available for extending it to
> whatever you need.  It also has some nice features for mobility as a
> cdrom based distro such as allowing you to save your configuration to
> a local drive or to the web.
>
> Also, as a word of caution, I ran linux off of a usb drive for a few
> months pretty regularly and as a result, the drive didn't last long.
> I think it's come up on this list before, but they have a very finite
> amount of read/writes before they give out.

Yes.  A swap partition on a flash drive will trash it in no time flat.
If you are looking to run Linux from a USB device I would get a portable
hard drive in the laptop size.  That you can thrash and it won't give
out near as quickly.  Not to mention a better gigs per buck ratio.

If you have to use a flash drive, figure on trashing one on a regular basis.

--
Garry  AKA  --Phoenix--  Rising above the Flames.

Wee fish ewe a mare egrets moose, panda hippo gnu deer.
Star Trek mort. Viva la Star Trek admiraetur
The Olde Phoenix Inn Http://phoenixinn.iwarp.com