[mdlug] Moving to a new box

Wojtak, Greg GregWojtak at quickenloans.com
Fri Dec 8 07:49:21 EST 2006

My favorite method of cloning servers when deploying several at a time is to
build one, then use dump on each filesystem.  Then, I bring those over to
the new box or bring the drives into the original, then use restore, make
appropriate IP and hostname changes, and bam!  Instant mini-me.  I¹ve found
this to be even less time-consuming than using Red Hat kickstart.

Just my $0.02.  I expect now that people will start informing me that even
the man pages for dump and restore say ³never use this program.²

Greg