[mdlug] supplemental memory?

Michael Mikowski z_mikowski at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 23 11:56:43 EDT 2010

Exactly.

SATA disk will be faster than USB2 memory devices for sequential writes (e.g. larger files).  This is guaranteed due the speed advantage the SATA has over USB2.

Now for random reads, seek time is much lower with memory cards, typically 1ms vs 10ms.  So putting swap on a USB stick will either improve your performance (if the disk is making many small reads), or hurt it.   Given the way Linux pages to swap to the disk, I would put odds on the latter.

Now if you want the best of both worlds, buy a SATA interface memory devices; they are called SSD's.  Last I looked, 256GB ran around ~$800.  But great for database servers.

Cheers, Mike