[mdlug] wireless on older laptop

Jeff Hanson jhansonxi at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 19:10:43 EDT 2010

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 6:40 PM, Raymond S McLaughlin
<raymond.s.mclaughlin at gmail.com> wrote:
> The Atheros chipset *used to be* (like 5 years ago) well supported with
> native Linux drivers drivers, but then they weren't so I got used to
> using NDISWrapper. I have read that Atheros Communications Inc. has
> resumed co-operating with the open source community, but I have still
> found the mad-wifi drivers problematic every time I've tried to use
> them, while NDISWrapper now works well.

On Ubuntu I've never had a problem with Atheros drivers on my Toshiba
laptop.  IIRC, there was some issues when the closed-source drivers
were replaced with an open-source version last year but I didn't have
problems with either version.  A few years ago I dumped Mandriva
because of Atheros problems but I suspect it has been fixed since
then.