[mdlug] wireless on older laptop

David Lee Lambert davidl at lmert.com
Wed Mar 17 20:57:37 EDT 2010

I have a Compaq Armada m700 as well (actually I'm on my 3rd one... the screen
on the first one got cracked from sitting under luggage,  and the internal
power-supply on the second eventually died).  I'm using a Netgear 802.11b
PCMCIA card with a "Broadcom Corporation BCM43XG (rev 01)" chipset with
pretty good results.

I run Debian Etch on it.

--
DLL

On Tuesday 16 March 2010 14:31, Dean Durant wrote:
> Hello, I have a compaq armada M700, 192 MB ram, Pentium 3. I had Mandrake
> on it but I blitzed that out trying to install Ubuntu 9.1 or whatever the
> latest is. Live Ubuntu was pretty slow. There was some problem installing
> it (ext4 over ext3 or something) but I should try again.
>

> The toughest thing is the wireless. It isn't built in. I would have to go
> external. Either PCMCIA or USB. Is there a particular brand or model people
> have had good luck with?
>
> I bought this Fast Netz ralink rt73 or rt2500, something link that, never
> once thinking about compatibility. But I can buy something else.
>

> Has anyone used damn small with wireless ?
>

> Thanks, Dean

David Lee Lambert ... Software Developer, member IEEE, ACM
Cell phone: +1 586-873-8813
GPG key at http://www.lmert.com/keyring.txt
IM: davidleelambert (Yahoo!) or lamber45 at cse.msu.edu (MSN)