[mdlug] wireless on older laptop

Dean Durant mdlug at wowway.com
Tue Mar 16 14:31:15 EDT 2010

Hello, I have a compaq armada M700, 192 MB ram, Pentium 3. I had Mandrake on it but I blitzed that out trying to install Ubuntu 9.1 or whatever the latest is. Live Ubuntu was pretty slow. There was some problem installing it (ext4 over ext3 or something) but I should try again.

The toughest thing is the wireless. It isn't built in. I would have to go external. Either PCMCIA or USB. Is there a particular brand or model people have had good luck with?

I bought this Fast Netz ralink rt73 or rt2500, something link that, never once thinking about compatibility. But I can buy something else.

Has anyone used damn small with wireless ?

Thanks, Dean