[mdlug] Is Vista going to be the new Windows ME?

Paul set at pobox.com
Wed Jan 31 02:18:20 EST 2007

Michael Corral <micorral at comcast.net>, on Tue Jan 30, 2007 [01:39:27 PM] said:
> From: Michael Corral <micorral at comcast.net>
> Subject: Re: Is Vista going to be the new Windows ME?
> To: MDLUG <mdlug at mdlug.org>
> Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 13:39:27 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)
>
> Ingles, Raymond a ecrit:
> >> A 'killer app' has to something that "Everyone" uses.
> >
> > My best guess is it probably has to do with user interfaces.
>
> My guess is that it will be a spreadsheet app.
> The first ever "killer app" was VisiCalc, a spreadsheet for DOS:
> http://www.bricklin.com/history/vcexecutable.htm
> Then Lotus 1-2-3 became the big "killer app", then MS Excel.
>
> > The 32-to-64 transition will probably introduce 3D user interfaces
> > on a wide scale.
>
> So I'm guessing a 3D spreadsheet, usable with something like
> Project LookingGlass.
>
> But who knows, maybe VRML will make a comeback now that the
> hardware will be better.
>
> Michael

	Hi;

	Well, the last real killer app wasnt a spreadsheet, it was
web browsers, followed by p2p, followed by social networking stuff
like myspace, which brings us around to the web browser again. This
may be leading us around to virtual reality again, via online games
like WoW, and to tie social networking in, Second Life. So, there you
have 3D, social networking, web browsing, and maybe p2p coming together.
If it gets detailed and complicated enough to require 64bit, high
end machines...
	Now, if you can just work simulated interactive sex into that....
	Actually, it remains to be seen if the PC is even relevent anymore;
only the '1337 mostly do their 3d stuff on PC's; high end gamers, CAD,
renderers, etc. Most people have been doing their 3d gaming stuff on consoles
for a while. And guess what, the consoles are 64bit now. And they can
ineract with the internet for some time now. Fait Accompli?

Paul
set at pobox.com