[mdlug] Naked/"dry loop" DSL and Linux-friendly ISPs

David Lane dcl400m at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 9 11:24:21 EST 2007

When I was setting up my Concast We first had to set up the windows pc then my router cloned the windows pc.

Rick Renshaw <bofh69 at yahoo.com> wrote:  --- Daniel Hedlund wrote:

> Has anyone had any positive experiences getting "dry loop" DSL service
> (without phone) through AT&T(SBC) owned copper? I've read that due to
> the merger a while back, having a monopoly required them to make such a
> service available for at least two years.
>
> If so, what I'd like to know is if anyone has had any positive
> experiences with any ISPs in particular that offer static IP addresses
> and are reasonably friendly to non-commercial Linux-based servers,
> including hosting my own email and DNS services.

I didn't start out with "dry loop", I had AT&T phone and ordered DSL from Speakeasy
(www.speakeasy.net). Once the DSL line was in, I changed over to Speakeasy's VoIP service and had
the AT&T line shut down, so I'm now a "dry loop" as you call it.

Speakeasy is the most Linux friendly ISP I've ever dealt with. The encourage you to run you own
servers, I have a static IP and they even provide secondary DNS servers as part of my static IP service.

http://mail.yahoo.com