[mdlug] Chaning distros

Ron Blanchett rrcb21 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 5 12:18:50 EST 2007

----- Original Message ----
From: "Novak, Louis (L.M.)" <lnovak1 at ford.com>
To: MDLUG's Main discussion list <mdlug at mdlug.org>
Sent: Friday, January 5, 2007 10:24:05 AM
Subject: Re: [mdlug] Chaning distros

just a quick comment:

Dan DeSloover wrote:
>Ubuntu is a great desktop Linux, but I'm still not sold on using it for
>production servers. Many of the packages are too bleeding edge and it
doesn't
>have as large of a package repository as Debian.

As Ubuntu is a derivative of Debian, all those Debian packages will
install
on Ubuntu. There is also a server load available for Ubuntu.

I second the Ubuntu recommendation.

This is highly unrecommended by both the Ubuntu and Debian maintainers.
In some cases it can cause system instability and sometimes the package might not work.
Ubuntu is about 1-2 generations ahead of Debian Stable at this point.
Installing Ubuntu Edgy is like installing Debian Unstable and Ubuntu Dapper is like Debian testing.
Keep in mind though that the packages are compiled different options and installing a package from the Debian repo's might replace libraries that where installed from the Ubuntu repo's which can lead to system instability and crashing.